Latest war fought in India was of Kargil which was an armed conflict between India and Pakistan that took place between May and July on year 1999 in the Kargil district of Jammu and Kashmir held near Line of Control (LOC). Till date more than 180 wars had fought on Indian Soil (since 262 BC).
Neighboring as well as distant countries like Turks, Afghans, Portuguese and British, and so on, always wanted to conquer India. They fought hundreds of war to defeat Indian kings and to rule their dynasty. India's land always attracted Distant Kingdoms. Many outside rulers visited this place as a guest but later was involved in internal conflict and conspiracy which came out as a strong reason for huge wars. Numerous times they looted our big treasures to weaken power/strength of rich Indian Kings and Queens.
Below we have listed 20 important battles fought in India from 1000 CE to 1800 CE.
- First Battle of Tarain(First - 1191) - The Battle of Tarain (also known as the Battle of Taraori), were fought in year 1191 and 1192 near the town Taraori (in present-day Haryana), between a Ghurid dynasty led by Mu'izz al-Din and a Chauhan Rajput army led by Prithviraj Chauhan. Powerful Leader 'Prithviraj Chauhan' defeated the 'Mohammad of Ghor'.
- Second Battle of Tarain(1192) - It was fought at same Tarain battlefield as in the first Tarain battle. But in this war Mohammad Ghori win against Prithvi Raj Chauhan. And Prithvi Raj was badly defeated.
- Battle of Chandawar(1194) - was fought between Muhammad Ghori and Jaichand of Kannauj of the Gahadavala dynasty. It took place at Chandwar, on the Jamuna River close to Agra. Jaichand was defeated, giving Muhammad control of much of northern India
- Battle of Panipat(21 April, 1526) - The First Battle of Panipat (on 21 April 1526), was fought among the invading forces of Babur and the Lodi Empire. The war took place in northern part of India and marked the beginning of the Mughal Empire. This was one of the earliest battles involving gunpowder firearms and field artillery in India. In this battle Babur defeated the Afghans and killed their sultan Ibrahim Lodi.
- Battle of Khanwa(17 March, 1527) - The war was fought near the village of Khanwa, about 60 km west of Agra, on March 17, 1527. It was the second major battle fought in modern-day India, between the invading forces of the first Mughal Emperor Babur and the Rajput forces led by Rana Sanga of Mewar, after the Battle of Panipat. Rajputs were defeated by Babur of Ferghana. Rana Sanga was wounded in the battlefield. The victory in the battle consolidated the new Mughal dynasty in India.
- Battle of Chanderi(1528) - After a defeat in Khanwa rajput under Medini Rai leadership decided to fight again with full force to beat Mughal Emperor Babur but Medini Rai of Chanderi was defeated by Babur.
- Battle of Ghagra or Gogara (6 May, 1529) - was the last major battle for the conquest of India by the Mughal Empire. The forces of now Emperor Zahir ud-Din Muhammad Babur of the emerging Mughal Empire were joined by Indian allies in battle against the Eastern Afghan Confederates under Sultan Mahmud Lodi and Sultanate of Bengal under Sultan Nusrat Shah. Babur defeated and dispersed the Afghans.
- Battle of Chausa (7 June, 1539) - was a notable military engagement between the Mughal emperor, Humayun, and the Afghan, Sher Shah Suri. It was fought on 26 June, 1539 at Chausa, Bihar, India. Sher shah defeated the Mughals, but Humayun, the emperor escaped by crossing the river.
- Battle of Kanauj or Billgram (17 May, 1540) - Sher Shah won against Humayun and occupied the city of Agra.
- Battle for Delhi (7 October, 1556) - also known as Battle of Tughlaqabad was a notable war fought on 7 October 1556 between Hemu, the general and chief minister of Adil Shah Suri, and the forces of the Mughal led by Tardi Beg Khan at Tughlaqabad near Delhi. King 'Hem Chandra Vikramaditya' defeated Akbar's forces in Delhi.
- Second Battle of Panipat(5 November, 1556) - Hem Chandra Vikramaditya (Hemu) was defeated by the Mughals under Akbar.
- Battle of Bannihatti or Tallikota(23 January, 1565) - Unified Army of the five Deccan Sultanates defeated the Vijayanagara Army and Vijayanagara General Ramaraju was killed in the battlefield.
- Battle of Haldighati(1576) - was fought in Haldighati, Rajasthan on 18 or 21 June 1576 for around four hours between Rana of Mewar, Maharana Pratap and Mughal Emperor Akbar's forces led by Man Singh I. Akbar won the battle.
- First Carnatic War(1745–48) - It was first of a series of Carnatic Wars that established early British dominance on the east coast of the Indian subcontinent. In this conflict the British and French East India Companies competed with each other on land for control of their respective trading posts at Madras, Pondicherry, and Cuddalore.. French occupied Madras, later returned it to British.
- Second Carnatic War(1749–54) - French army under the command of Duplex fought with British and British won. In 1755 they made a provisional treaty.
- Third Carnatic War(1756–63) - In 1758 French occupied Fort Saint David. But defeated at Wandiwasi(1760). Britishers won.
- Battle of Plassey(June, 1757) - British Army under the command of Robert Clive fought with Bengal Nawab Siraz-ud-daula and British won and Mir Jafar was made Nawab. Siraz-ud-daula,while he was unarmed was killed mercilessly by Muhammad Beg,a person who was under his assylum.
- Third Battle of Panipat(1761) - War fought between the Afghan leader Ahmad Shah Abdali and the Marathas under the leadership of Sadashivrao Bhau Peshwa of Pune. It resulted in the worst defeat of Marathas in their history.
- Battle of Buxar(22 October 1764) - Battle fought between the forces under the command of the British East India Company led by Hector Munro and the combined army of Mir Qasim, the Nawab of Bengal, the Nawab of Awadh, and the Mughal King Shah Alam II.
- Battle of Calicut(1790) - was a series of battles that took place between 7 and 12 December 1790 near the port of Calicut on the Malabar Coast of India, during the Third Anglo-Mysore War.
You can even search any Indian Wars or Battles Above with dates. Just enter any Battle fought Place and find the appropriate matching results. We have database of all major and minor battles that took place on Indian Soil.